View Single Post
Old 07-07-2018, 12:15 AM   #6925
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Radiator Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWNate1 View Post
As you said you have a four row core brass radiator it's a fairly simple thing to clean, use powdered citric acid mixed one pound of citric acid to each gallon of distilled water ~ mix this outside of the radiator and drive it a day or two, the coolant will turn dead black as it does it's thing, drain, flush and repeat until there's no clouds in the water / acid mix and no visible solder bloom .

This works with aluminum cooling systems too .

Remember to leave the heater's water valve wide open so it gets cleaned out too and never use tap water ! .
Thanks! I flushed it about 5 years ago and put in water wetter and water pump lube, along with 50/50 coolant. I'll do this flushing after I get back from camping. We're not going all that far and it's pretty much level ground so we should be good for that little trip. I don't know if I have solder bloom, I haven't checked yet. I'll be doing checking that tomorrow. The wife wants the trailer in front of our house tomorrow to plug in the fridge and get it good and cold before we leave and it switches to propane. I'm charging the batteries which were deader than a mackerel. But that's a different problem to deal with. I'm thinking master disconnect or a solar panel and a voltage regulator to keep the batteries topped up. First I have to make sure that the batteries are any good after being flat for about a year, since that's how long it's been since we went camping last. Hand surgery has put that item on hold.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA