View Single Post
Old 07-09-2018, 04:31 PM   #9
Psyekl

Re: Chevy P20 Step Van-King Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Since your going LS I would get a complete engine/trans pullout....then everything will already be setup to work together....check and see what your rear ratio is along with your tire size.....A calculator like this will help figure out what you need...http://www.csgnetwork.com/multirpmcalc.html
Excellent! Thanks for that.
Vortec 5300 LM7
Be aware, I am not "dead set" on the "LS" swap: I had chosen the 5.3L LS (edit: recent research shows that the engine I have chosen is actually designated the Vortec 5300 LM7; the "truck engine" based on the LS I, all following info is still valid) because it is a very common swap, parts (stock and aftermarket) are readily available & relatively inexpensive, there is a LOT of support for this engine online and they can be found anywhere. Is there any reason I should consider another engine for this build? I want durability, efficiency, power, cost-effective maintenance and easily available replacement parts (and aftermarket mods won't hurt, either).

I am probably just going to purchase a whole running vehicle and do as you suggested: pull everything including the wiring harness. Unless convinced otherwise I plan on going with a modern fuel-injection. I had considered doing a nice 4-barrel carb "hot-rod" old-school setup but I'd rather have the efficiency of a more modern system. - What would be a good vehicle to get a good 5.3L engine/trans pairing from? Silverado? Suburban? Escalade? Yukon? Avalanche? Express/Savana? Sierra? Tahoe? Were some years better than others as far as the engine/transmission/electronics/ fuel delivery are concerned (design tweaks)?

I had considered the option of a diesel, but I can't justify the cost in maintenance and modern fuel inflation for my intended use. (Any objections?)

Thanks again for the info, it's gold. I'm off to measure tire size and to figure out how to calculate my rear gear ratio...

Last edited by Psyekl; 07-09-2018 at 04:54 PM. Reason: New Info.
Psyekl is offline   Reply With Quote