View Single Post
Old 07-14-2018, 06:15 PM   #21
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: How can I turn the crank and cam so the timing marks line up right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weq92f View Post
My opinion here is that approximate TDC is good enough for installing a standard timing set straight up ( dot to dot ). Don't think on a BBC the "slop" at TDC ( where the rod sort of rides the slope at the top of the journal arc ) would be enough to cause the chain to skip a tooth. If it were, you'd probably see that in the dot alignment anyway, right?

-klb
I can't say I know much about engines (such as "where the rod sort of rides the slope at the top of the journal arc"), but I think I get your meaning. What's straight up and down to one guy might differ from another (i.e., slop).

When I turned the cam and crank separately, seemed I could feel the engine assembly, for lack of better term. In other words, using the crank as example, as I rotated near TDC, clockwise or counterwise, there's a fine(ish) line where a little nudge offers more rotation. To me that means the other valves are opening/closing, which would be off TDC. There's a happy place somewhere in the middle. That make sense? Not that I put much stock into a level for this, my torpedo level seemed to confirm my vision the marks are lined up.

Speak of slop, I was sure the block was level side-to-side first....HA!. Discovered early this stand only holds the block level if I rotate it to do so. Any movement it's off center again. My guess is that's common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
as for finding TDC with a dial indicator, isn't too awful necessary - can be done with a dial indicator or just a cam degree wheel/piston stop combo. GM didn't do it when this rolled down the line, no need for you to either, unless you're goin racin. If you were running high compression pistons/high lift cam combo, you may want to go thru the whole enchilada and find true TDC and verify cam specs with the degree wheel - and check for valve to piston clearance. Just not necessary w/stock stuff though.
Not sure how to use any of those tools yet, but should I have had done any of this before installing the chain? I'd rather waste a lock plate now than do everything over again later (yikes). For what it's worth, I didn't go through the engine or remove the cam. It was rebuilt some time ago, with stock HP heads off a 396 Corvette, for example, with a high RPM "RV" cam. If memory serves me punched out = 412-419 something like, 350 HP. Sounds stockish to me. Let me ask, other than dropping the distributor and setting timing, any thing else you'd do on this block from a timing perspective?

I still have a pump to install yet HA!......The painter is taking his time with the oil pan. Can't even install the timing cover, pending a powder coated timing plate. SLOW moving man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tator View Post
Figured I missed something. I guess comprehension is not high up on my list. LOL
Flip-side might be worse. Try taking everything literally It's confusing.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 07-14-2018 at 06:20 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote