View Single Post
Old 07-29-2018, 09:38 PM   #61
joedoh

Re: Wamego: 1949 GMC 150

I will try to post this quick because I am actually on my 30 minute fire watch, after welding enough to kick the AC on!

first, Clay54 mentioned I didnt explain the all thread in my motor mount buildup, it was from an older project, Fenix, and I used the all thread to move the motor back 11 inches, here are the pictures and descriptions, and I will also fix the broken links in the Fenix thread.

first I run the all thread through the existing mounts, but because they are at a 4 degree down angle it would actually lower the motor, so I stacked the all thread to gain the half inch back that it drops over the 10 inches.

IMG_5680 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_5682 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

then I slide my pipe on the all thread to the correct position, in the 41 it was 10 inches, on this 49 it was 8 3/4.

IMG_5683 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_5685 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

then I verify the pipes are 16.5 inches apart, and at a 4 degree down angle, and also verify the measurement from the ground to the mount, and build the legs. viola! engine mounts moved back 10 inches without a lot of guessing or working in 3D space with 2D parts. easy peasy, rice and cheesy.

IMG_5687 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

so back on wamego today, I needed to add that piece of firewall that had the wiring pass through, but the one from this truck is pretty wallered out, who knows why.

IMG_0514 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

luckily this is not my first s10 so I had a spare.

IMG_0516 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_0517 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

then I closed up all the gaps in the firewall. having the right gas really does wonders for your confidence.

IMG_0519 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_0520 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I made the pedal bracket removable as you can see, so while it was out I started welding up all the joints. you can see the difference here between the old welding gas (tall bloopy welds) and the new gas (nice welds).

IMG_0518 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I still have to connect and brace the column mount and support the forward leg that goes to the dash support. before I welded up the firewall it still wiggled like a two year old in church, and the bracket had a lot of twist. after just welding what I did, the firewall is like a ROCK and the bracket does not twist any more, and I still have legs to add for the column. I like this way a lot better than the last time I did it, the wiring will be a lot easier.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote