View Single Post
Old 08-12-2018, 10:51 AM   #1467
oldman3

Re: My 50 roadster pickup build

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigamanx View Post
Fascinated by the painting process in the garage. I am about a year out on blowing my truck apart for paint. This winter I have some other goals first.

Your work looks pretty amazing. Wondering how you keep the color consistent when doing the painting in parts as opposed to all at once when the truck is together? I'm thinking different temps, different humidity, different cans of paint might make one panel ever so slightly different than the one beside it.

Second question...why is the floor not covered? You mentioned mopping and vacuuming it. Did you put a sealer or something on the garage floor when building the paint booth?

Thanks and awesome work on the paint job!
First thanks so much for the compliments. Consistent color = might say I'm lucky, my shop is heated and AC, so we try to paint with the same temp, etc.. Most paint supply stores have reducers in Low - Medium - and High temp. Just by changing the reducer will help in keeping the paint coming from the gun more consistant.

Cans of paint. I buy my paint at a regular auto paint store. Their mix is very close, but I will normally take the cans of paint, pour into a new clean bucket, mix it all together, then pour back into each can. This gives a better chance of color being the same. This works great for non-metallic colors. Metallic colors are the ones that air pressure, distance from surface, speed, etc., that will make the colors seem to not match. Another thing is always paint the part as it will mount on the vehicle.

I DON'T have a paint booth, just a 30X40 shop, we seal off half the shop with plastic to keep it as clean as possible. Floor had a sealer put on 20 years ago, but with all the work, etc. it has worn off. We clean the floor each time to help with dust, etc.

Hope this helped...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote