View Single Post
Old 08-23-2018, 03:37 PM   #25
Purcell69

Re: 57 GMC, frame swap, 4wd, 454 big block, 4 speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old57 View Post
Slow progress lately between work, and being gone on vacation for 8 days last week. I started on making my fuel lines and brake lines. I buy 25' rolls of the tubing, then straighten the tubing and form the ends, and measure/mark/bend the tubing to shape. Here are the tools I like to use for this to get professional results on custom made lines. The rolled tubing straightener works on tubing from 3/16" to 1/2", and makes nice, straight tubing to start with. The hydraulic flaring tool is a great thing to have, and will make flared ends, bulb ends, and even the GM quick disconnect ends. I have a few different benders that I use, depending on the size and radius I need. Hopefully I'll have all of my lines made before long.
Man that makes nice flares!

I don't know what changed, but back in the 1980's, I could use a hand held flaring tool, you know, the cheap one at the parts store, and make good double flares with no problem at all. Now all of the sudden they mushroom over and I am one for four. I guess my luck ran out. Lol!

With that setup, all of your hard lines will look like they came from the factory.

-Joe