View Single Post
Old 08-30-2018, 08:16 PM   #136
joedoh

Re: Wamego: 1949 GMC 150

its definitely easier than the handbuilt 41-46 trucks! everything led to everything else on those.

well I got what I wanted done today, front clip leveled and mounted. its just tacks right now till I can flip the front end and weld the bottoms/ add legs to the frame mounts, but because its in compression, I can lay on the core support and it doesnt budge. that lower cross bar tack came loose yesterday when I was prying on the upper mount, so dont look at it for level, I tacked it back but obviously not square.

I went with cantilever mounts outboard of the frame, I know they will fit with the tires because I have done this mod once before. I would have put them closer to the core support but I want all the room I can get to install the condenser and rad. I cut the inner so its still removable, I could have bolted it but this worked better welded.

IMG_0946-1 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
55735205623__FAD495E8-257F-4B3F-B809-7EABEF0E2800-1 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_0955 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

had a nice brain fart, I was tacking the drivers side in and the mount tacked to the frame fine but the weld was spluttery and useless on the core. turns out having the ground clamp on the frame mount meant there was no ground path to the core haha. I only swore twice before figuring it out.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote