Thread: Zane's 71
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2018, 10:56 PM   #21
rcazwillis

Re: Zane's 71

Scope shift is a real problem. I have to remind myself this is a driver from a 16 year old. Every time I do something, I see something that could be done because this would be a great time to do it. If it is functional and works, we intend to leave it as is. If I don't stay focused, it will be full frame off restoration.

We are very close to putting the engine bay back together. This weekend I cut out and replaced the rust in the wheel wells. They are not perfect, but are functional and should never be seen once bolted on.

Sand blasting sucks! Picked up a small Harbor Freight unit for blasting the core support, battery tray, etc. Paid $25 for the 25lb HF media. Should have done my research. Tractor supply has 50lb bags for $8. Does not flow quite as good, but gets the job done. Items are blasted, primed, and painted chassis black.

Found the blower motor resistor was wasted. Plug was melted, resistor was falling apart. No local auto parts had it available or showed any parts to order. Found one vendor on line that claims to have it available. Also found a replacement plug. $30 later, both are on the way. Once I have those parts, we will start bolting the front back on. Painted the AC/Heater housing while it was out. Will put it back together once parts arrive with new seals. Had one rat nest and a ton of dirt. All cleaned up now.

I also cut the rust out of the drivers side floor board, inner rocker on passenger side. Discovered another rust spot on floor inside passenger side cab corner. The cab corner is fine, but there is a hold big enough to put my fingers through beside the floor brace. Not going to fix it. Don't think I can get at it without cutting a bunch of good metal out. Any water entering will drain back out immediately. One of those scope creep issues.

Lastly, stripped the cab floors to metal because there was lot of surface rust and some pitting. Treated the rust areas with rust converter, then sprayed the area with self etching primer. We are going to have to paint the inside of the cab. Was not planning it, but too many issues. Will do this ourselves when windows are out. A task for later.

Found Brothers had a ton of items I needed on sale. Order carpet, locks & ignition switch, and other items adding to about $725. Saved about $300.

Hoping to make some major progress in the next couple of weeks.
Attached Images