View Single Post
Old 09-10-2018, 11:37 PM   #170
Smniekamp

Re: 1981 K20 Project - The Blue Ox

Like I mentioned in my last post....time to do some rockers... I decided the passenger side was the best side to start on. It needed slightly less work than the drivers side. I figured I could get a little practice on the passenger side, then go for the more difficult driver side. Here is my progress so far...

I've seen a few people do this job without removing the fender, but my rust was bad enough I had to take all the body panels off the passenger side.
Name:  IMG_4436.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  82.6 KB

Here is what I was working with, in this photo I had made a couple cuts into the top of the rocker, but nothing was removed yet.
Name:  IMG_4438.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  80.3 KB

Once the outer rocker was off, I was able to grind all the rust off the inner rocker and save it. Thankfully the outer rocker replacement covers all the rotten areas.
Name:  IMG_4440.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  67.6 KB

Here is the painted inner rocker panel, and outer rocker cut to size. Sizing up the outer rocker was pretty time consuming, but it was well worth it when it came time to weld. My joints were pretty tight so it tacked together nicely (for my work truck standards) lol.
Name:  IMG_4444.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  76.6 KB

The semi-final product. All tacked in place! Since I took this picture, I did a little more grinding and put a skim coat of Bondo on. Its drying in the driveway as I write this. Tomorrow I'll do some sanding, then hopefully move on to the cab corner portion of the repair. For my first rocker panel replacement, I'm feeling pretty happy!
Name:  IMG_4446.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  76.0 KB
Smniekamp is offline   Reply With Quote