View Single Post
Old 09-14-2018, 09:51 AM   #3396
Grizz1963

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside RESTO-GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
What an adventure. Safe travels home.
Thank you Karl.

The hard part will be getting back to UK time and also back to work.

Then there is the matter of gaining near 10 pounds in two weeks.......

Thanks for all the hospitality and food everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian113 View Post
Eve and I wish you and Craig a safe trip home and Thank You for including us in your Holiday! It was great to actually meet person to person. Later, Ray
Thank you both Ray, as well as the dogs, for making us welcome and sharing your lives with us.

It was worth the travel and time to get there.

Thank you also for my sneaky gift, to be posted later.

Before we went to bed Andy and Sharon’s daughter came around with a freshly baked, still warm tray of cinnamon rolls as he expected a few more guests for the next day to cast and drool over all of his cars, tractors and trucks.
I missed out on photographing many of his various toys, both vintage and Hotrod as we were so busy in the casting and melting Department which is hugely interesting.
If you want to see more about Andy’s various toys and projects, including the cattle, animals and his Auction wins go to his thread here: https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...d.php?t=334140

Unfortunately most of the guys did not make it, due to jobs, pet injuries etc.

These were exceptional

Back to casting metals.

Preparing your mould is the most important part of the job.

You build a negative of what you want, in two halves, create channels for the molten metal to run in and fill the cavity, hopefully leaving you with a final product without flaws.
Metals respond very differently to contaminants, temperature and preparation. Some take a lot more heat to get to working temperature etc.

Dennis chose to make an Alu-Bronze trivet for Deb (Debbie)

Once the negative it prepared, it goes into a half mould, gets talcum powder as releasing agent, but you have to brush the excess off to prevent dulling of the casting. It really becomes an art of preparation.
In the mean time the furnace gets fed with metal, to create the pour.

Dennis sifting the green sand over the pattern before compacting it in a three step process, followed by scrapping flat, turning over and removing the negative pattern carefully.
In this process grains of sand can make a difference in outcome.

Every letter gets removed next.

Followed by making the pouring side in a separate box with a pouring channel from the outside and spruces leading in to get an even distribution of metal.

In the mean time, Craig was working in the woodworking and foam area to create some gifts for his family (details later as his is a surprise and his family may be following the thread)

Cutting foam on a hot wire for casting.

Once fully prepped they would be put in the bucket and processed like JOY was done.

While various things happen there are more jobs to do, in order to keep enjoying the hobby.

Here we are using a pneumatic trammel to separate dirt from the casting sand so it can be used again.

Another clever Andy innovation.

The rain continued, as it had all week, but we were semi indoors, so the mosquitos and rain was less of a problem.

Some more of Andys future projects.

Interestingly, rust is not much of a problem on these older vehicles.

Having been in the oil industry, many of Andy’s vehicles came from there too.

More in a while.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote