View Single Post
Old 09-21-2018, 01:27 PM   #53
McDeezl

Re: '72 GMC long/fleet in Ottawa area

Ok, so managed to get the wrong fender issue straightened away. Many thanks to Bills Truck Shop for replacing at no charge!
Been a crazy summer for work so not a lot of time to work on this but managed to get the fenders done. Don't think I have ever measured something so many times over as the lines for upper and lower trim/paint. At least I had the existing holes in the doors and cab to work from as a start point but still. Taped the trim in place and adjusted, measured a million times, measured another million times and then finally marked it up and drilled the holes. Stressful!
Then the time sucking tasks of prep, prime, colour 1 (orange), prep and mask again for colour 2 (white) then prep and shoot clear. FYI its Omni single stage and then 2 coats of clear on top of that.
So pretty content with the result so far, looks not bad for a garage shoot I guess. Fenders are just hanging there loose, will come back off and all the bling (trim and emblems) goes on before mounting. Those nasty trim and emblem connections near the door/fender gap that are essentially impossible to get at otherwise. Then they go back on and hopefully for the last time.
The hood (#3) and outer cowl should be back next week from sandblast and epoxy prime. Hoping to get those shot before the weather cools off to the point that I can't shoot in the garage, probably another month left if I'm lucky. Then I'll have the winter to take care of cleaning up loose ends mechanically, lots of those.
Attached Images