View Single Post
Old 09-23-2018, 08:18 AM   #3441
Grizz1963

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside RESTO-GO!

Seven states in two weeks.

Possibly more than some Americans do in a lifetime.

So we crossed the Mighty Mississippi once again and drifted into Illinois

We headed up to the tourist welcome centre and rest area some time after 6.30pm

Like every one of them we had seen on this trip, they are large, clean, well equipped and actually welcoming.
I really enjoy this feature of the USA

Looking back at Iowa, over the bridge we had just crossed.

Once we were done there, it was near 7.00pm and we still had a long way to go, into the sunset to get to Macomb, our planned stopover for the night.

It would be the first and only night on this trip that it was just Craig and I, kinda weird as we had become so spoiled being in great company every day and night the last two weeks.

The trucks windscreen was showing the signs of the many miles we had covered thus far, and taking photos into the setting sun was just not successful, though the scenery as on most of the trip, this time of day was actually beautiful, with farmsteads, machinery and architecture passing us by while we tried to ignore the glare of the setting sun.
After using the washer and wipers, the view was even worse and possibly even dangerous

Making it to Macomb, which is a University town, we tried the Super 8 Motel, but it was full up, the receptionist was very sweet, a former gymnast, which was very apparent by her posture, shape and looks, she was surprised when I asked her if she was a gymnast at school as to how I knew. Simple observation really.

So no bed there, she suggested we drive a few miles across and over town to another area with some hotels and restaurants, which of course we did, by now it was dark, so the Wayz Satnav and our free WiFi got us to the next area, seemingly newer and also upmarket from the Super 8 which we subsequently found out, did not get great reviews.

The first hotel we got to was fully booked as well, BUT.........

IN TYPICAL AMERICAN SERVICE INDUSTRY STYLE, THE RECEPTIONIST ASKED WHAT WE NEEDED, AND PROCEEDED TO CALL AND FIND OUT ABOUT AVAILABILITY ELSEWHERE.

Service excellence in practice.

I also got a cuddle and a selfie when Craig took the truck and headed off to see about tariffs and what was on offer at the next hotel, 300 meters away. Leaving me to say thank you, get the selfie and direct her to the site for the trip report.

Welcome to the Hampton Inn, part of the Hilton group.

Pricier, but clearly in a different class.

Parking up the truck, we unloaded once I walked over from the first hotel and got to our room

Because Craig is a Hilton Honors member, he also got a discounted rate on the room, based on just supplying his email address. So much for loyalty schemes. Free money is good.

I think it is worth posting the room, cannot recall the cost, but under $120.00 for the night, and included a decent breakfast, help from staff and a secure carpark.

And a rather sweet welcome.

Little touches that are noticed.

After a bit of a false start, looking for a place to eat, as we were getting hungry now, we found our way down the road and over to the other side to a well camouflaged Buffalo Wild Wings for dinner.
Typical Sports Bar, Student hang out, where the beer was cold, the waitresses hot and the wings even hotter.

Mikayla looked after us and ensured we even had desert after our deceptively large plates of food.
Wings really is a speciality where ever we went in the USA and I found myself passing up on burgers and pizza time after time, to try various versions, flavours and combos of wings.

Not a fight or a frown up to this point.

Certainly worth toasting the trip so far.

Mild for Craig, mixed hot and Teriyaki for me.

Portions are deceptive and some places the “drummy” section of the wings were larger than some restaurant drumsticks.

After dinner, paying and heading out, I saw this poster on the wall......

Wonder if it was a chicken on its way to the kitchen.

Late to bed, we had a lazy start planned as we wanted to get to Hannibal in time for the businesses to open, via a detour Craig had planned along the way.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote