View Single Post
Old 09-28-2018, 11:09 PM   #5
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Re: At my wit's end, please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
My 2 cents: The stock alternator does not run newfangled accessories such as electric fans, not enough power. An alternator does not push power, items draw power from the alternator. If you draw too much power, the alternator and regulator can't handle it. The stock alternator can handle a stock A/C blower motor, A/C clutch, the distributor/coil, stock headlights, tail lights and an AM radio with single speaker. If you start adding other stuff to draw power, you need a higher power alternator and some additional wiring and relays to run the new stuff.
Agreed on all points. For the record, virtually everything on my truck is stock, with the exception of the pusher fans, which iirc draw 17 amps. The original 61 amp alternator had started getting noisy, so I replaced it with a new 80 amp at the same time I added the pusher fans. They are on a relay, as are the headlamps and as of two days ago, the A/C compressor. I have an aftermarket low-wattage radio that isn't turned on, and a GM HEI that's been there since the 1980s. So I think that -- in theory, at least -- we've covered most of the bases as to electrics.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote