View Single Post
Old 10-02-2018, 03:57 PM   #43
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Re: At my wit's end, please help

I never have checked / reinforced my ground straps -- guess that would be a good project one of these days. In 41 years, I never had electrical problems until installing that 80A externally regulated alternator. That's when things started to go south. I think it speaks volumes for the goodness of the original design and hardware of these trucks. Disclaimer, I replaced a bendix drive on the starter many years ago. That's it, still the original starter and until now, the original alternator. Not bad at all. EDIT: Ironangel, you mentioned pulley diameters -- they have all been the same at 2 1/2".

Oh by the way Good News everyone! The new internally regulated alternator is on and seems to be working perfectly! It's outputting 14.5 volts at idle, and drops to just under 13 with A/C on (and sloooww idle, not sure just how slow). If it stays like this I will be one very happy camper!

I want to thank everyone again. I never could have fixed this without you. Board members here are some of the best anywhere!

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay

Last edited by Stocker; 10-02-2018 at 11:55 PM.
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote