View Single Post
Old 10-04-2018, 05:38 PM   #6
v30crewcab

Re: hydro boost braking system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TT View Post
The one-ton square body version is the one to look for used as the mounting plate is easy to make work on our trucks but many other applications will work too with a little more work. The Astro van version works fine but is not as heavy duty so if you use your truck to haul heavy loads I would not use the Astro van unit.

The hardest part is getting the nut off the back if you need to put it on another style of mounting plate to fit your firewall but after that it is just getting the right lines to fit your application. I needed a 3-foot long breaker bar to get the last one loose.

The square body truck lines & routing are nearly identical to what would have been on our trucks if they came with it so they work well for us and for other front steer muscle cars like the Chevelle. I am still trying to work out some of the lines for the rear steer setup on my Camaro. I want to use factory lines from some application so I can get a replacement easily if needed while on a road trip rather than having a custom hose that is difficult to replace.

You can get the pressure and return lines for the square body version with either the old style inverted flare fittings or the newer O-ring style fittings since it was available for quite a few model years. They are available new at pretty much any auto parts store for a pretty reasonable price. This being said the booster is also available with either inverted flare or O-ring fittings so if you find the inverted flare version you do not have to mess with your steering gear box or power steering pump fittings. Everything can stay inverted flare.
The astro van hydroboost is identical inside to a 80's 1-ton unit. only difference is the pushrod length. had many of them apart resealing them. it wasn't until 98ish they had bigger ones on some of the bigger trucks.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=522535
v30crewcab is offline   Reply With Quote