View Single Post
Old 10-08-2018, 09:47 AM   #11
Grumpy old man

Re: Any farmers / tractor people here?

With a $10,000.00 budget you can buy a nice early 90's John Deere 855 or a 955 with around 2,000 hrs on it 4x4, diesel, loader, hydro drive with either a bush hog or under belly mower . These were famous for there heavy frame and built to work . The 855 are 24 hp and the 955 are 30 hp . My 855 has foam filled front tires and the rears are filled with beet juice for traction and stability . How you plan on using it and the type of terrain makes a big difference on what to buy, In your words "being a noob to tractors" there is a lot to learn about safe handling any tractor with a loader ,ALWAYS wear a seat belt , Don't buy anything without ROPS (roll over protection) Hydro drive is much easier to run than a standard trans . With tractors SIZE MATTERS , You have to consider how your going to move it from one place to another and sooner or later it will get stuck and you'll want one that can be unstuck with a 4x4 pick up rather than a bigger tractor . I wouldn't buy a large 2 wheel drive tractor for plowing snow But that's just my opinion . Tractors with loaders and bush hogs are dangerous and learning how to drive one is a big deal.Anyone can but there are plenty of youtube video's on how NOT to run one . If I were you I'd check with the local landscape contractors on their opinions for your area they may even lead you to a good deal ? Another thought is to take that $10 K and buy a 67-72 4x4 with a plow and a decent zero turn mower ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCElLpaww4Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMBHenOTbZI
Attached Images

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote