View Single Post
Old 10-09-2018, 04:25 PM   #4
sick472

Re: softer ride c20 -72 leaf springs

If you are talking about the thick one that barely touches the others...don't do that!

Let's talk hypothetically, I am not qualified to advise anyone on modifying there suspension components. I can just talk theory at this point.

That lower thick leaf looks to be a back up for heavily loaded situations or big potholes. Removing it would not be noticeable wrt the ride until you needed it and it would not be there. That lower thick one also keeps your other springs from bending backwards (or downwards).

That leaves the next leaf up, it's a shorter one compared to the other 4 leaves above it which tells me that it contributes to a bit less than 20% of the support (maybe as little as 10%). I believe your ride would get softer if you removed that one from both sides. You would also loose some ride height (IDK how much, certainly the thickness of the spring and then some more for the loss of support). The scary part is that removing any of the springs also reduces the support that the springs above would have which sounds dangerous to me, maybe life threatening.

I would leave the spring designs/mods to the spring engineers!

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote