View Single Post
Old 10-20-2018, 07:38 PM   #33
68 P.O.S.

Re: 1970 c10 distributor upgrade recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman View Post
Do your research. If you are basing your opinion on the price and haven't seen or held his HEI you are uninformed. Skip White's HEI is vacuum advance and it's NOT cheap crap!! It even comes with a lifetime warranty. Look at the reviews and Youtube on it. Or don't, freedom of choice.
I'm well informed. Not only have I seen and held one, but I've thrown one in the trash. I bought one, even though I was warned not to and had seen some informative posts here. So fresh out of the box and on my work bench, the cap cracks as I take it off for the first time to install a curve kit. Fine, I'll use my old cap. I open it up and the weights are ungreased and their casting is terrible. Looks very suspect, but I give it a shot. I install it, correctly, and the truck won't fire. After checking everything for the 6th time, I pull a plug and fire it, and there's no arc. Instead, the filament glows like its a diesel glow plug. I pull it out again and check the electronics. Terrible quality. It's all cheap Chinese junk. That's how he can sell them so cheaply. I promptly tossed it and and bought an Accel. Still using it today, properly curved and everything. No thank you on that lifetime warranty. I don't want a turd for life.