View Single Post
Old 10-25-2018, 09:40 AM   #7
MySons68C20

Re: Pop rivets for wing window w/s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_The_Grad View Post
PITA FOR SURE. I overhauled my passenger wing window. Took me 3 days pulling and reinstalling. That rivet kit is no fun. They make special tools for those type rivets. They range from $90-$300. Didnt warrant a purchase for me.

Because of the awkwardness and difficulty involved. I've only done the one side window. The drivers side is in worse condition than the passenger side was.

All in all, it came out pretty good and I'm happy with it.

Here's a tip if you find yourself tackling this solo like I did.
Get a piece of 3/8" or 1/2" flat stock mild steel by about 2" wide and about as long as your window assembly or at least the width of your bench vise jaws.(you do have a bench vise right?) Place the flat stock in the vice and set it so that the vent window channel rides along the edge but high enough for the vent window assembly to NOT touch the vice jaws. It helps a lot when your setting the tube rivets by giving you a solid surface to strike the rivet setting tool with your hammer. Also, theres a great YouTube video on overhauling the vent window assembly. Its about 45 minutes long. But is well worth watching at least once.

https://youtu.be/WiZOiHmcb_w
Mike is right on.......a piece of steel to back up the channel makes it doable with the tool that comes with the kit. I really like the little screw idea too.

Blake
MySons68C20 is offline   Reply With Quote