View Single Post
Old 10-31-2018, 10:41 AM   #2705
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

Happy Halloween gentlemen.

I stopped by Mike’s last night. He and one of the guys that did a lot of the work on my truck were saying the sensor at the top rear center of my engine is 1 of 2. The top one is connected to the Holley computer. The one sending a signal to the HDX is on the driver side of the oil pan.

Thanks to dsraven for the links to the pictures I am posting below. On my engine they drilled and threaded the factory indent on the cover and it looks exactly like the ones in these pics.

The obvious thing is to swap out the sensor on the pan. But I can connect the manual S&W gauge I borrowed from Mike to that location, drive around a bit to make SURE there is no intermittent oil pressure issue - though Mike says it’s impossible to have an “intermittent” issue on an LS and is almost certainly a sensor issue.

He explained/showed me that the LS oil pump drive is directly off the front of the crank. It reminds me of a “Wankel” style eccentric pump with no sacrificial breakable part like the plastic/phenolic connector on an SBC/BBC engine. The only way the oil pump can fail catastrophically is if the engine seizes. Otherwise he says the oil pressure would go away slowly like if a cam bearing were wearing out fast. I’d notice 5 or 10 psi lower pressure after drive.

Also, again he mentioned the valve train will make noticeable clatter the moment it has low oil. I heard none of that when the issue happened and also my transmission cover was off and my windows open when happened at low speed so I would have heard. I WAS listening for any odd noises too; it was the first longish drive.

Last, I asked him if the computer would shut off the engine if it’s sensor detected no/low oil pressure? He said it would not.
Attached Images

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 10-31-2018 at 10:48 AM.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote