View Single Post
Old 11-03-2018, 04:13 PM   #7
Mike_The_Grad

Re: Blown Head Gasket :(

1972RedNeck,
I agree with you. I'm fairly certain it failed because of my recent issues with fuel. I had my original 1972 qjet 4mv on there from day one. Well I started experiencing issues with performance so I bit the bullet and pulled the airhorn of it. The float was saturated for starters. But i also discovered my venturi booster walls were cracked. I have a thread up here on it if you wanna check it out. Anyways, a buddy gifted me his brand new 1406 edelbrock performer carb and his brand new performer EPS intake. So I swapped them out. And right off the bat I knew it wasnt right.(the 1406 is calibrated lean from the factory.) So I bought a calibration kit for the carb. This was all within the last month. I began swapping rods and step up springs and got it pretty close to dialed in but it would still get warmer than normal after sustained driving on the freeway. So I took it to the next step and changed the primary jets. The floats in the carb checked out fine. But i also swapped in a new mechanical fuel pump. The airtex brand pump i installed lasted about a week or so, I know this because of the new liquid filled fuel pressure gauge I installed at the carb. The gauge is accurate because my parts guy hasn't had one returned to him in 25 years. Built in America in Anaheim CA. So I installed a Spectra Premium mechanical fuel pump and it works as designed, but it's to high pressure for the edelbrock carb @ 7 psi at idle. These carbs need around 5.5 psi. So my next purchase is a regulator. I digress, my parts guy thinks the failure is due to running lean for to long a period of time. And I agree. My spark plugs are almost pure white and the plug from the #8 cylinder has its electrode partially melted away from the ground strap. Here are some pics. The last pic is withe the number8 cylinder towards the left and the number 2 plug to the right.
Attached Images

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Mike_The_Grad is offline   Reply With Quote