View Single Post
Old 11-03-2018, 11:13 PM   #2236
DransportGarage

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
BIG DAY today! I took the '51 for it's first real road test. Yes, I'd already made a trip around the block, but today I took it out on the highway for the first time. I made a 20-mile jaunt to the next little town south to fill the gas tank. Started on two-lane road, everything felt good so I increased speed up to 50 mph. Stopped at the local truck scales to check things out; all systems A-OK so hit the freeway. Kept it at a conservative 60 mph just to be safe - plus I have no seat belts yet so felt a little insecure. My wife followed me in the family car just in case I needed rescue.

Everything couldn't have gone better! The new speedometer worked perfectly. The steering wheel could be rotated one spline counter-clockwise. Engine stayed around 160*. Steering seemed a little twitchy - is that typical of manual Mustang IIs? Will probably feel normal after I adapt to it awhile. Brakes, bearings, etc all stayed cool. Wheels and tires ran smooth, no vibration. Ditto for the drive shaft. After 50 years and multiple frame-up builds, maybe I'm getting the hang of this car building stuff, ha ha!

Sorry, no new pictures - everywhere I stopped I was instantly surrounded by admirers so no time for photos. LOL, might have had something to do with the open headers attracting attention!
A very great day in a very cool truck! Congrats!
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote