View Single Post
Old 11-20-2018, 10:45 PM   #8
Chris_oz

Re: 1970 350 questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkinLonghorn View Post
I've always heard that these trucks got the 4 bolt mains.

Also, this isn't what you were asking but a Longhorn is a heavy truck with the One Ton frame. My '69 with all options and a few tools weighs 5300 Lbs. This is not the ideal platform to make a quick or sporty truck in my opinion. I had a stripped down 1/2 ton with a modified engine that would hold it's own against most cars (back in the 90's).
Sometimes I wish for more power in my Longhorn but I usually think about TORQUE, maybe a torque 383 build.
Honestly though, if your engine is that low mileage, I would check the vacuum, compression, ignition advance settings, carb function and make a few changes like jetting, cold-air intake (not the open element crap that sucks in hot air from the radiator!) as a start. -BA
I will check that with the next oil change, I have a bore-scope with light I can put into the sump through the drain hole, everything I can find points to 2 bolt mains, so who knows, would a casting number give it to me?

I understand they are a very heavy truck, hence my desire for more torque via a 383, I was just hoping to short cut it a little, but I know there is no short cuts.......

The tuning is pretty good, I will do a compression test on the weekend, vacuum at idle is 18-19 in-hg at 700 rpm.

It has late electronic ignition, working vacuum advance, the carb seems fine, it feels like it’s a little rich down low, blows some black smoke when taking off, but clears pretty quick, I know nothing about the Q Jet, hope to learn, On the 500 mile drive home from where I bought the truck, it returned 15 mpg for the whole trip, sitting on 60 mph, 80% was on the highway, but there was a solid 2 hours in crawling traffic on the "Gold Coast Highway", sitting on 5-10 mph for ever.

In general it drives really well, I do plan to tow with it occasionally however, so just looking at upgrades.
Maybe I should just be happy with it and drive it, put the $10k I would spend on upgrades into tyres and fuel.

Thanks to all for the advice, looks like I will have to decide on where I want to spend my money.

I think I am just happy to have a vehicle I can buy aftermarket stuff for, after 30 years of owning AMC Javelin, early Cadillac's, Studebakers and alike, with next to zero hot up parts available, owning a Chevy is weird, I can buy parts, lots of parts, easily.............what a time to be alive.
Chris_oz is offline   Reply With Quote