View Single Post
Old 12-09-2018, 01:13 PM   #370
Old57

Re: 57 GMC, frame swap, 4wd, 454 big block, 4 speed

I got the gauge back from getting repaired, and I'm going to put it in here in a bit, and get the door latches adjusted. I had some time yesterday to get my seat cover on the bench seat. I was anxious to see how it was going to fit, because I've been told so many times that the aftermarket covers never look good. I figured it has to be better than the blue cloth upholstery that was on it, so I took the gamble. I ordered the upholstery from Raybuck, and they said 2-4 weeks to make it. After sending a picture of my bench to their customer service email, they told me this seat was 1995-2005 Chevy truck, due to the bolster areas on the back. I always thought it was a 1988-1998. Anyway, I got the cover and it looked to be great quality, and a nice factory look. It came with a cheap set of hog ring pliers, and a bag of hog rings, and generic instructions. I removed the seat tracks and separated the seat back from the bottom, and removed the original covers. I took note of how the covers were attached to the seat frames so I could install the new ones the same way. The foam and frames were in great shape. The new covers had a couple minor differences in the attachment points, so my wife helped me sew on a couple of the pieces from the old cover into the bottom edges of the new one, then helped me stretch it on. It fit nice and snug, and the shape was really good. I was expecting the cover to look "cheaper" and not fit more than decent, but I was surprised at how good it fit and looked. There's a few small wrinkled areas that seem to show up more in the pictures than what they really look like. This picture is how it looks right after installing it and setting the seat back into the truck. I assume the wrinkled spots will settle down after a bit of time and some sunlight or some careful heat with a dryer. I'm pretty happy with the results though, and I think it'll work out great for what I'm doing with the truck.

Before and after pictures...
Attached Images