View Single Post
Old 12-23-2018, 11:18 AM   #148
cruizin01

Re: '78 K20 to C10. Almost 20 years in the making.

I got a few different things going on with the truck lately.

Ive been collecting/contemplating another fan setup on the truck. Im sure Im over thinking it all but you can't really have too much cooling right?

I picked up a Lincoln mark viii 2 speed fan on ebay a couple months ago. I had planned to add another relay to my dakota digital controller and run both speeds. I went up attaching it to my existing shroud. I wasn't excited with how it fit. I had a pretty large gap on the side and it didn't feel very secure. Along with the fact that after I test fit it, it didn't fit in the truck. Not enough space between the radiator and the water pump. Shucks

So I start looking a the motor itself and the motor on the jeep fan. The mounting and overall size was pretty similar. So I decided to try and use the lincoln motor and mount it in my jeep assy. I struggled removing the flade from the motor. I basically had to cut and beat it off. I enlarged the hole just slightly and welded a nut to the motor so the blades couldn't turn on the shaft.

I forgot to take a picture of it all assembled. It did fit together in the truck so that was good. But when I spun the fan up I realized I had done damage to the motor as it was super noisy now. I guess beating the old blade off wasn't the best idea. "sigh"

So, back to square one. I read around on the net about different fan combinations and a couple threads mentioned old dodge intrepid fans had high cfm. I find an NOS set on eBay for a $100 so I ordered them up to try. I put them side by side with my current jeep fan and they didn't pull nearly as much air as the jeep fan did. I also would have had to make a whole new shroud. So I returned them.

In the meantime I found you can order just Lincoln replacement motors. So I found one from VDO. I thought I could use it has I had with the original setup. Come to find out the replacement motors are made slightly different and it doesn't fit my jeep fan. UGH. I think Im striking out big time.

During all this I decided that regardless I would be using the jeep blades and the stock chevy shroud together. The blades were slightly smaller than the shroud so I would like to fill that gap. I found a couple old storage shelves and went to work.

I think it turned out pretty nice. It should pull more air now that its forced through the blades. I decided just to run it as is for now. If the truck still gets warm after the new shroud and a colder tstat Ill maybe go with an aluminum radiator or something.

So as I was messing around with it on the floor I got lazy and wasn't paying attn and stuck my thumb in the back of the fan blade while it was running! That was a lesson on the torque and grip a plastic blade has at speed. OUCH!

This weekend I started rewiring most of the engine buy. I had some wires from the harness that GMACHINZ built for me that needed removed that I wasn't using. I also wanted to just clean things up. Most of my wires terminate under the battery and I wanted to reorganize that. I also decided to do away with the Fitech Fuel Command Center and do an intank setup. I need to remove and move and add wiring for that. I also had some wiring to add for things like AC kick for the Holley and the fan controller. I needed to mount the Hyper Spark controller and integrate the wiring for that as well. LOTS of stuff going on.

This is my mess under the battery tray. About to look a lot cleaner.