View Single Post
Old 01-07-2019, 12:27 AM   #77
NeoJuice

Re: What's going wrong inside my 350?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weim55 View Post
Good for you to pay the $$ and get an experienced set of eyes and ears on the problem. I've spent most of my working years as a mobile construction mechanic. It's always baffled me people will spend $$ like crazy throwing parts at a problem but refuse spend $$ toward experienced labor to diagnose a problem first.

You mention you thought the sound might have started after you worked on the crankshaft to balancer bolt issue. Plus the mechanic found the noise to be in that area.

From the information above here's what I would do: remove water pump to have good visual and next the crank drive bolts and pulley.

Water pump could be hitting the timing cover or crank pulley bolts too long. Fire the engine, if the noise still exists, remove the crank to balancer bolt and grab the balancer with both hands and see if it is loose on the crank.

I know this sounds silly to some but if the crank snout-balancer is damaged you've chased the problem to here. Perfectly OK to run the engine for testing without the bolt if the balancer is tight. Fire the engine again, if the noise still exists shut down the engine and look very carefully with a good light 360 degrees on backside of the balancer for good clearance between the balancer and timing cover.

Any witness marks of the backside of the balancer rubbing something. This is very tight even when everything is perfect. A junk China timing cover has me suspect as would a used or junk China balancer. When you installed the balancer bolt and snugged it up the balancer it might have fully seated to the crank and caused the noise to appear you are trying to chase. Likely you'll find the problem in the above paragraph. If not post and we can dig a little deeper.

Steve weim55 Colorado
Weim55,

The mechanic lives in my town and only a couple blocks from my house so I thought it was a no brainer to get someone to come look at the issue for the price and like you mentioned throwing money at parts until the problem might be fixed.

I mentioned the 'the crankshaft to balancer bolt issue' because I thought that maybe if I didnt drill it out 100% straight that it could have broken something on the crank or maybe spun a bearing because it went all out of wack. Like I mentioned with the bolt in there the bottom pully was shimming a little as the motor was running hence why I immediately pulled it out. DSRaven says that even is that is the case it should be fine to have the bolt in there if it wasn't 100% correctly drilled.

With the edelbrock water pump the previous owner put on the engine there is plenty of room between the timing cover and water pump so I don't think there is any rubbing issues going on there.

I never really thought about the issue that the crank pulley bolts could be to long and rubbing. I'll have to check that since I installed the proper crank bolt it could have pulled the balancer into the proper position. who knows if he tried to re-install it with a 2x4 instead of the proper tools. I think the bolts that were used for the pully are not OEM length.

I will check clearances between the balancer and timing cover as you mentioned above. But as you mentioned when I installed the new bolt it could have snugged the balancer up against the crank in the proper position.

But when I think back the truck has been started at least a dozen times before the exhaust was installed. The same bolt was still installed in the crank and the sound was not there. So the question still remains on 'What happened' after the exhaust was installed on the truck, what broke.

Thank you everyone for all your time and suggestions. If anyone has any other thoughts please chime in.

Last edited by NeoJuice; 01-07-2019 at 12:33 AM.
NeoJuice is offline   Reply With Quote