View Single Post
Old 01-07-2019, 02:51 AM   #21
In The Ten Ring

Re: Best tracking device?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Good point Dave - not the best idea chase em down - perhaps in the interest of THEIR safety or one's own. I can't imagine the police wouldn't help if you, as the owner, tell them where your stolen vehicle is - because you happen to have put a GPS device other than Lojack on it(?) Am curious if anyone has run into this scenario. I've been considering these also.
My brother had two of his work trucks stolen, police were no help, so he went driving around till he found both, called police, and gave them an ultimatum "either come do your job or I'll do it for you." They did their jobs.

I know at least one large US city has downgraded car theft to the point they won't do more than take a report.

There was a woman in the news some years ago that did what my brother did except the police didn't come so she stole her car back. Naturally the police were upset, out of embarrassment I guess.

I don't know anything about locator systems.....if that's what you want to spend your money on, go ahead, but I'd be ready to go find your truck yourself first and call police once you get there. Like the earlier poster said, if it was a chop shop, all you'll find are parts anyway. Tag all your truck parts?

Now there was the one member with the 1/2 ton 3OTT with overdrive, that had his stolen from a commuter train parking lot I think, he found his via a Facebook group on stolen cars. The thief was actually driving the thing! I could see that being a great instance for a locator system.

Last edited by In The Ten Ring; 01-07-2019 at 02:56 AM.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote