View Single Post
Old 01-08-2019, 01:32 AM   #91
weim55

Re: What's going wrong inside my 350?

As Jason56 said, cam currently in the engine is right in the edge to be streetable with power brakes and an automatic trans with a stock torque converter. That said if it were me I'd swap the timing set, tune the ignition and fuel and give her a try before all that extra work. But that's ME and I have a lot of experience with this stuff.

If you do chose to swap the cam I can give you a good recommendation. I've built dozens of small blocks over the years and my current fav for an application like yours is a CompCams XE262H-10. Done 3 builds with this cam and currently have one in my '65 C10 350 with a turbo 400, 3.54 gears and power brakes. VERY snappy and torquey off idle and pulls hard to 5500rpm. Difficult for me to find a performance cam with good vacuum for the high Colorado altitude. This one does nicely. Used the truck to pull my sons '56 Gasser to Kansas and then got to play with it at a 1000foot altitude on the streets of Great Bend. Couldn't believe the power for such a mild 350!

Personally I think some component of the gear drive is rubbing-hitting something inside the timing cover creating that hideous sound. The noise is certainly something above normal for a gear drive.

Steve weim55 Colorado
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote