Thread: Johns 66
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2019, 08:11 PM   #247
Johns 66

Re: Johns 66

Well Saturday arrived again with visions of doughnuts...….I think my standards are way too high..LOL

We got the new convertor in and they wheels do move now...….But it still is not running right....It seems now that the stall is too high. We adjusted linkage, played with the carb, messed with the timing ALL to no avail...We changed governors and still didn't run right...So I have had a 2500-2700 convertor, just put in a 3200-3600.

The 2500-2700 shifted too quick and wouldn't let the RPMs come up.

The 3200-3600 held the shift way too long and wouldn't go into overdrive until way late.

It could be a stuck valve in the tranny, stall could be too high, motor could be off in the timing department...We are thinking that the cam may be one tooth off....BUT at this point we are clueless. Just a lot of speculation at this point.

So we have come up with a plan...I am NOW going to buy a 2800-3200 stall....When we pull out the tranny, Randy is going to take it back apart and check the valves and the rest of the tranny just so he has peace of mind. After this is done we will once again install the tranny and take it for a ride...if after all this it still will not run right, then it is going to the shop who built the motor and it will be on them to make it run. If the tranny wont work with a stall range from 2500-3600 and the internals are right then it has to be the motor.

A 327 should light the tires on fire, especially with the bed off...….or at least that is what I think.

So after fooling with it most of the day I wanted to at least get something done so we change all the body mounts with polypropylene mounts...this wasn't too bad. I was really surprised how the rubber mounts had deteriorated.....The center shaft was almost non existent and the rubber parts just crumbled.

Then we changed the radiator support mounts...and of course one wanted to be a total pain so we had to cut it off with a Sawzall...It was all we had but eventually we got it out and installed the new mounts.

I wanted to get the new mounts installed because Bryan from Fullermoto said he was ready for me to bring it over and get the rust repaired....So one day this week I will trailer it over and let the rust repair start.....I want it to be on its on power while its there...so much easier to load and unload off a trailer.

But that's the weekend update...lol
Johns 66 is offline   Reply With Quote