View Single Post
Old 01-13-2019, 11:19 PM   #391
rkn463

Re: 68 C50 Looongbed pickup build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whamo View Post
Glad you are back on it! Been there...hang tough Brother!
Thanks for hanging in with me!

I installed the starter (as already seen in a previous photo, I also bolted the clutch pivot back in – that is when I realized I had lost what the service manual calls a z-nut, item 3 on this diagram:

Name:  ZZZ.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  29.6 KB

I ordered a replacement from LMC (hopefully it is the same between light and heavy-duty trucks). For short term I slid a couple of hex nuts over the shaft to take up the extra space.

Another item I addressed while the trans was out is I fixed the floor that I bent when I snagged the floor on the shifter knob way back in post 142 when I was lifting the cab off of the original frame:

Name:  VVV.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  55.3 KB

Back then I thought that I would be able to hammer and dolly it back in to shape but because of the bracing under the floor I wasn’t able to dolly it. With the trans out I used the floor jack to push it back up.
Anyway, with all that done it was time to stab the trans back in. It had be sitting so long that the part that the throw out bearing rides on had rusted, so I sanded it down and sprayed it with WD-40 to protect it.

Name:  AAI.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  37.4 KBName:  AAJ.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  37.3 KB

Stay tuned,
-Richard