Thread: Building my 283
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2019, 09:22 AM   #1
OL65GMC

Building my 283

Hey guys, thought I'd see if anyone wants to chime in on a probably over discussed 283 build thread. Lol. Let's see what happens. Currently.. 65 gmc short step, 230 6 with later sincro 3 spd. Factory rear end 30" tires. Picked up a 65 suburban in a trade that's rotten but had a running 283 that I'm going to drop in my step side. The small block had 145 psi compression in all 8 +/- 5 psi. (I know, pretty high, checked with 2 different testers). Pulled the engine out of the truck and tore it down. 20 over pistons, 10 under crank mains and journals. Cam was in pretty bad shape, power pack heads that need love. Block casting #3849852, heads #3785896. 2 bbl manifold.
I'm looking to stay with the power pack heads, only going to bore if needed to make it right. I did pick up a 4 bbl manifold #3919803 and a couple of Quadra gets to build. Also a aluminum holley 4bbl manifold, not sure of make or numbers but has front oil fill.
As you can see I'm looking for a as era correct as I can be, while getting the most I can out of this little motor.
I know a 350 would be cheaper and more hp. I have read about head swaps, ect. I want to stay with the set up I have. I'm not unrealistic, don't need 350hp or 10 sec time slips. I just want a healthy strong little engine. I'm going to drive the truck... A lot. Suggestions on set up would be awsome. Hung up on cam mostly, don't want to have to rev it to 3500 to leave the stop light, but don't want stock either (would like it to sound healthy). Leaning towards L79 cam? Sorry for the novel but just trying to answer questions iv read asked on other threads. Thanks guys!
Attached Images

OL65GMC is offline   Reply With Quote