View Single Post
Old 01-22-2019, 08:13 PM   #10
Molino

Re: Sticking valves fix??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyrivermark View Post
So I got s small block that has been sitting for several years.
Seems like valves are sticking. Thinking intake bit maybe an exhaust or two also, not sure.
So I've heard pouring marvel mystery oil down carb , in gas tank and also adding it to the oil. Seafoam help?
I was going to take valve covers off and spray some penetrating oil around the valve stems. And add mystery to the oil.
Any suggestions or info greatly appreciated.
low mileage engine.
Thanks
Mark
Valve noises, my go to is always a beer (or soda/pop) can full of ice cold water poured down the carb while the engine is running. Keep your hand on the throttle to keep the rpms up so the engine doesn’t stall. Water creates a more violent explosion in the cylinder since it is actually hydrogen and oxygen. This will blast most all carbon off of the valve faces and pistons. Now that the combustion chambers are cleaned this will be a great place to start trouble shooting valve noises, if the noise is still there. Carbon can cause noises too. If need be, I think you are on the right track by going into the valve cover. Once in there put a timing light on the rockers looking for inconsistencies. Adjust the rockers of the noisy valves, maybe just out of adjustment.
Good luck, I hope you are all shoveled out !
Russ
Molino is offline   Reply With Quote