View Single Post
Old 01-22-2019, 11:19 PM   #7
Canuckvetter
How did I get this OLD!

Re: The state of our hobby .. 67-72 Chevy and GMC

When I was 7 my cousin at 21 bought a brand new 67 Marlboro Maroon corvette coupe 327-300 hp. That was the 1st time I had ever seen a corvette yet alone ridden in one. I was hooked. My uncle always had more money than my dad so not one in my future from my parents. In high school I had a 68 lwb GMC 910, but still wanted a corvette. In the early 80’s I bought a house, got married, got pregnant and started a business. By 1985 I was able to afford my 1st corvette. For $14,300.00 I got a 1966 Milano Maroon 327-350hp mostly original roadster I loved that car the hobby and the people that fixed up the old cars. By the mid 90’s the same car was getting $40K+. Just getting too expensive for me to enjoy. Started worrying about driving it or scratching it. Sold it and bought a Chevelle project which I lost my shirt on. Mostly because I thought if I restored it with the prices that BJ was getting I would do well. Wrong! Reality check. All it takes is a couple of guys with deep pocket and a few drinks to run the price up to stupidville. I went back to the 67 trucks in 2014 solely for the love of the hobby. Waited and chose the right truck ( thanks Coley) and now enjoy learning and trading and selling parts. Too soon old too late smart.

I hope that the prices don’t get crazy because it’s too much fun playing. Once the bulk of my generation has come and gone the few that still enjoy this hobby will be able to buy up nice trucks and parts off the estates because by then the hobby will have run its coarse.

My advice for what it’s worth, enjoy what you have. Enjoy the friend you have made.
1967 Oshawa built LWB Fleetside. 327,3 OTT, 515 Vermilion, CST, PS, PB, Shoulder Harness, Tach,Vac, Speed Warning, Choke Delete, Manual Throttle, Fawn interior. Dealer installed A/C 04/2015, N34 Rosewood Wheel 06/2023
Members who I have met personally. Metaldoc, chevnkevin, 62 Longbed, 72LHorn, 72MARIO, YBNORML, TBONE1964, Classic Bowties, Chevemall, Dagnabbitt.
Canuckvetter is offline   Reply With Quote