View Single Post
Old 01-23-2019, 10:31 AM   #20
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Re: The state of our hobby .. 67-72 Chevy and GMC

I attended Barrett-Jackson in Vegas this year and was able to look at the trucks that were selling. On TV you never can tell just how nice or how how not nice they are. Of the 67-72's that I saw selling for the low 30's were nice clean trucks that were put together right. I was encouraged that the trucks were bringing this much as it is very easy to put 30 into a build. I've had my 71 since 1985, so I don't ever plan to sell her. But, 15 years ago it was a for sure that if you put 30 in the rebuild you were looking to get 20 grand for it. So, for those that want to build and flip it is a good market right now.

The downside that I have seen are the prices people are asking for parts. I see what some NOS stuff is selling for on this board and it blows me away. I think they are crazy! No one will pay that much money for a set of mirrors, but they grab them up. High humps going for 100 bucks!! Wow! A few years ago they were 25 dollars.

I still think you can build a driver pretty cheap depending on where you have to start. I paid 2,500 for my truck in 1985. Same truck today would be double to triple that, but so is everything else. I don't think you can build a nice clean hot rod of any kind on the cheap anymore...a lot of wheels are $600 a piece now.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote