View Single Post
Old 01-27-2019, 10:13 PM   #14
dmjlambert

Re: OK, one issue fixed, original issue remains

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHWAY BY THE SEA View Post
... I corrected that. So I repeated my last grounding test with the steering column rod, and springy rod thing, and the horn works when I do that. So I reinstalled the steering wheel, and all the horn parts in the proper manner, but STILL no horn!!! ...
OK so now you know the problem is definitely not in the steering column or in any part forward of that, because your relay and horn work, and the wiring up the column works. The problem is limited to the last few parts that mount on the steering column. Take those apart and put together more slowly. Tell us the first point at which it does not work, and don't put it together beyond that point without correcting the problem.

First the cancelling cam that has the tower and spring loaded pin.

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-01-27 at 8.02.53 PM.jpg
Views: 3468
Size:  29.6 KB

Slip that onto the steering column, move it around, and make sure when you short its pin to the steering column shaft the horn honks. Then put the steering wheel on, and repeat. Make sure when you short the cam's pin that is sticking up through the steering wheel, to the steering column shaft, the horn honks. Then put the convex spring into the steering wheel recessed cup, so it rests on the plastic of the steering wheel hub and is in constant contact with the cam's pin.

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-01-27 at 8.03.14 PM.jpg
Views: 2653
Size:  30.6 KB

Push down on it and confirm it snaps down against the center metal part of the steering wheel where the steering column shaft sticks through. When it snaps down like that, the horn should honk.

Next put the cup and spacer on with screws.

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-01-27 at 8.11.20 PM.jpg
Views: 2490
Size:  25.6 KB

Press down on any part of the cup and it should honk the horn. These are pictures of pieces LockDoc posted in another thread.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote