Thread: Johns 66
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2019, 04:24 PM   #296
Johns 66

Re: Johns 66

Well had a pretty decent day today playing in the ole wood shop......got the wood milled up and did a dry fit in the bed. I am using Ash...Its a real light hardwood so it should look really good with a natural finish.

I used the Mar K bed wood dimensions for the strips and used GMP Pauls dimensions for the wood. I adjusted the strip measurements just a fudge because I wanted the bed strips to sit flush with the top of the wood. I am exactly flush now but once I sand the wood Ill have less than a 1/16 of drop on it...The main focus was to ensure the wear strips did not sit above the rear cross member so you could look in the end of the strips when the tailgate was open....I think that looks cheesy...JMHO though

The only real issue I had was the side boards that that go in front and back of the wheel wells weren't wide enough in my opinion...….So Ill mill up 2 more boards and cut them to size....Im ok if they are a little wider inside the fender well.

BUT the BIGGEST issue I had was that evidentially when I numbered the cross braces...1,2,3 I apparently didn't remember which end I started from so none of the bolts holes line up except the rear cross brace

So Im gonna have to take the braces out and flip them around.....all I could say was DOH!!!!! But if that's the worst thing them Im way ok

Needless to say I will have to have some help doing this to ensure I get it back square...then I will get the wood installed with all the bolts, mark for the side holes and tear it all apart and finish the wood.

But here is a rough look at it...….the wear strips are flush with the rear cross member even though the pic looks like they are not.
Attached Images

2019 GMC AT4
Johns 66 is offline   Reply With Quote