View Single Post
Old 01-28-2019, 09:54 PM   #1763
Advanced Design

Re: 48 Burb, bagged, 5.3, 20 year wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAKKY View Post
Doug.

Can you clarify something for us newbies.
#262 for rust patch panel

When you cut it out and use a screw/cleco like that ...... doesnt that mean the backside is not painted/rust protected ?

Also ... not its not level .... so bondo to smooth out ?

Versus why dont you just cut out and shape a piece that fits and use magnets - then tack weld.

I have no idea what IM talking about - just curious. Dont get the whole 'cleco' thing exactly as it creates that "step" between panels.
Fakky that is a great question. We could have made complete panels (my metal shaping friends could have) to replace those inner wheel houses. Because the metal was very thin, it would have been necessary to have a cut line outside of the wheel well on the body side. Then you run into the issue of being able to metal finish the butt weld seam. There is no access inside to be able to planish the weld (use hammer / slapper and dolly to bring up low places from shrinking) and there would be a seam on the outside edge of the quarter panel.

So I went the patching route. And I actually used two pieces of metal. The first was overlapping the hole and was held in with screws. This was done because the metal was too thin to weld to. Typically I would make a piece and butt weld the ends.
Attached Images

Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote