View Single Post
Old 01-30-2019, 09:17 AM   #1772
FAKKY

Re: 48 Burb, bagged, 5.3, 20 year wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post

So I went the patching route. And I actually used two pieces of metal. The first was overlapping the hole and was held in with screws. This was done because the metal was too thin to weld to. Typically I would make a piece and butt weld the ends.
Awesome.
Also helps explain why I struggle to weld some patches .... just keeps blowing right through, even with a copper backing at times. So the piece behind gives it more structure and heat dissapation to help get teh patch in and hold without blowing the thing metal ..... if I understood.

thanks

--- I just got the later parts in your build thread and about the passing of your wife. Im sorry. I feel the same about mine as am sure many of the guys here do to .... I cant imagine and obviously dont know what to say. I did get a smile out of this quote from you ...

"she also wants me to finish this Suburban (more on that later), to take her 72 Burb on HRPT 2019, take the kids and Grandkids to Disney in 2019, gave me a short list of women to stay away from (they just will want your money!), a longer list of women she is ok with (you need someone to spend time with honey!), then enlisted her sister and a friend to make sure I follow through and even planned her celebration of life service with me and our Minister.

Like I said, she was special. I will love her forever and a day."

I think thats just awesome and speaks volumes alone.