View Single Post
Old 01-31-2019, 06:05 PM   #12
demian5

Re: Blew up the truck, deciding on a cam and trans upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieinNC View Post
If the trans was ok before the crank issue...I would just run front and rear seals and pan gasket / filter into it while engine trans is out...

Obviously, if you find a load of crap in the pan when you remove it, the trans will need a rebuild...

Historically, when I have come across SBC or BBC with flattened cam lobes, the resultant metal dust has usually polluted everywhere,,,,always destroys the oil pump...and usually the cam and crank bearings....

You can get em clean, but its usually a huge job including oil gallery plug removal and numerous hot deep soaking processes.

I have built maybe 20 or so roller motors in past 2 years...only two flat tappet cam engines...and one was an original build on a 327 keeping it original as per owner request....

Roller motors are a better solution....in the long run...just my humble opinion....and as mentioned, they are plentiful in wrecking yards...

Trans has been slow to engage in the AM lately and has unknown miles on it. I have a set of bearings for the engine so i can pull it apart, clean it up and freshen it up as well.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote