Thread: 69 c50
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2019, 11:28 PM   #14
Airdirect

Re: 69 c50

I have a 1979 C70 Chevrolet with 4-53T Detroit Diesel, Clark 5 speed and Eaton 2 speed rear end. Its a blast to drive, tops out at 71 MPH, however I like cruising at 65 MPH. The hydraulic brakes (OEM equipment) are fantastic, not sure why anyone would upgrade them. I think they are powerful enough to stop a train! No issues with the rotors rusting when they sit idle. The brakes are so powerful you cannot get on them long enough to see any fade. I am sure if you were coming down Pikes Peak with a load it could be a problem. I would try the brakes before deciding they need to be changed. I usually shift all five gears then pop the rear end into high. Normally I just drop the rear end into low and I can top all the hills in my area. I think spitting each gear is just unnecessary wear and tear on the the rear. I used to drive a C50 (1972) with a 350, 4sp and 2 sp rear. The 350 was a great motor and I found it had plenty of power for 200 bushels of grain (11,000 to 12,000 lbs). It was a very long life motor and got good mileage.
Airdirect is offline   Reply With Quote