Thread: Johns 66
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2019, 09:13 PM   #357
Johns 66

Re: Johns 66

They say in life you should always be learning...Well I was Baptized by fire today.....and in the process learned many things...learned what I didn't know, and learned a lil bit about doing body work...some do's and a lot of dont's

I block sanded both beds, the header panel, rear cross brace, and the cowl piece....My initial intent today was get everything sanded with 80 grit and spray epoxy primer and 2 coats of high build tomorrow...That was the plan......the best laid plans of mice and men as they say.

I did get all the parts sanded with 80 and had some glazing putty with me and decided that I would fix some of the small areas...LOL..YEAH RIGHT

First thing I learned is glazing putty sets up quick...real quick. Maybe I used too much hardener...but anyways I finally got what I thought would be enough spread and started block sanding with 80 grit again...and quickly realized that I was wasting my time...but got it all sanded down. I see now why they smear filler over the whole panel and then sand it off....I had highs and lows with the glazing putty.....basically I would have had a wavy bed side....I mainly was concentrating on the inside of the bedside and after trial and error most of the day I think tomorrow I will smear filler on all the flat area, wood upward.

I also learned what a properly blocked area looks like and while it was a small area I now know what I am looking for when blocking, also learned that when you apply filler/putty that you need to use a longer block.

All in all it was a good day, didn't get a lot of progress but learned what to do going forward ……..So the new plan is to get all the filler work done, get the panels blocked down to 180 then I will epoxy prime and the 2 coats of high build primer, then block down dry 220 then 400 then wet sand 500 then 600....My hopes are that will get me good enough to put color and clear on it.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I think this is a learning process and the more I do the better I will get and learn what to do and what not to do.

At this point I am not really sure how much the high build primer will cover.....hopefully I will have these 4 pieces done by Saturday then epoxy and high build them
Attached Images

2019 GMC AT4
Johns 66 is offline   Reply With Quote