View Single Post
Old 02-17-2019, 10:00 AM   #17
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Re: What kinda sorta rare job have you done for a living ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shp4man View Post
I played bass and sang backup in a top 40 Country band for about two years in the late 70's.
Wine, Women and Song...and flying beer bottles.
Then, i got married.
Sowed your oats as they say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red71gmc View Post
Lord I'm boring. Some remarkable stuff you guys have done!
Aww ! you musta done something ,,think awhile it will come to ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
My first job out of the university, I went to work for a company that beat out two national labs for the efficiency of their process for separating isotopes of the elements. I went on to work in MILSATCOM (Military Satellite Communications) and MD (Missile Defense), and worked for a bit on radar-evading technologies, like on the F117A and F22. Also, some other stuff.
That is pretty high tech ,,sounds like the guys at the nuclear plant I worked at

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
In '81-'82 I was job foreman for a custom builder who built passive solar, earth berm, and earth shelter homes. He and I derived our own Dryvit-like "outsulation" exterior wall system using Dow blue board. He didn't like the idea of Dryvit over white beadboard that disolves when it gets wet. So we created our own formula because Dryvit refused to alter their system (for the better).
This I never got to do as a carpenter,, sounds interesting though ,I did do a cooler for a tavern and used a 2 inch thick insulating board,,maybe your board would of been better..

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
I spent 25 years blowing stuff up - combat engineer and field artillery - and now I teach Junior ROTC.
It is fun to see stuff blow up,,once i worked for a old guy and he had me digging holes down by a big ol stump with a long spoon like shovel ,when the stump blew a chunk almost hit one of his hogs and could of killed it

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
I didn't have what you would call a rare job. But it certainly had some unusual moments.
I was a Meter Reader when I started at the electric company. And if you go into in the backyards unannounced of about 400+ houses a day, you're bound to see something eventually.,
My friends would ask me "Hey do you ever see naked chicks lying by the pool?
Unfortunately. No. I just saw old naked men running around their backyards. What can be seen cannot be unseen. I've got a million stories about that job.
I was attacked by a hawk, and I can't count how many dogs. I had a tree fall on me in a windstorm. And the lonely housewives that were always really ugly. People pulling guns on me. It was interesting work.
I can relate to some of that as I worked at Christmas package delivery for the post office in Portland Oregon and B.D, was what I marked on the package when a bad dog would not let me sit the package inside he screen door,, and I delivered in the skid row part of the city and seen some pretty rawnchy stuff for a 18 year old ,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty76 View Post
I was a kid with a lawnmower (rare today). I mowed folks yards and hand pulled weeds. I also used hand held grass sheers. In all seriousness though a lot of the hands on trades are hurting slowly making them rare.
I lived out in the country and so much wanted to be able to mow lawns in town ,but it was to far to go ,so I helped my dad log.. mowing lawns was a good starter job for a kid ,, and you got to do it,