View Single Post
Old 02-18-2019, 08:54 AM   #25
special-K
Special Order

Re: What kinda sorta rare job have you done for a living ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
In 1990 we built a high dollar boat house on Bull Shoals Lake. This thing was state of the art, top to bottom.

The interesting thing for a carpenter, was we had no need for a level. Every thing had to be done with a framing or T square or line blocks. Wall panel had to be squared, and sheathing had to be glued and screwed, then bolted to the floor framing.
What if the lake was out of level?

More like a dream job. I had a stock boy job in HS. Not so rare in general, but this was a place in a mall called Smuggler's Attic. It was an import boutique, sold hippy kinda stuff and it was all hot hippy chicks working there except for me. It had an 8-track sound system always playing the cool stuff of the time ('71/'72). It was upstairs on a corner above the central fountain with square seating thingies along the rail, and a straight shot in from the upper parking deck. All the HS kids "hung out" there. The whole corner opened up to the store. I was paid to hang out, basically. Keeping it stocked was simple, took less than the first hour to get that done. The rest of the time I watched for shop lifting. The funniest thing of all was I never worked Thursdays and that was the day the truck came down with stock from New York. I never unloaded a truck the whole time. Just got paid (not much) to hang with the harem and the other kids basically

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote