View Single Post
Old 03-05-2019, 11:53 PM   #2762
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

Quote:
Originally Posted by svr View Post
Ok yes you have to have the sender grounded, looking at your pics it looks like there is a wire leaving the sender from the ground, i don't know where it goes but if your pump runs it should be grounded.
Yes, the truck runs so the pump pumps which means the sender is grounded. Is there any such things as grounded ENOUGH? Or grounded incorrectly?

Quote:
Just went through this on mine. To really know what you have you need a digital ohm meter and a 0-500ohm potentiometer. without pulling the sender out of the tank its alittle harder to get exact but should be able to figure out what you have. With the ohm meter check from the ground terminal to the frame, you should have complete continuity from the frame to the sender. Also your gauge has to be grounded good. If all is good there with the ohm meter check across the ground on the sender and the send terminal, if its a 0-90 sender it should read somewhere close to 90 ohms if it's full, if its about 30 ohms it is a 0-30 ohm sender.
Here is a link to how to use the potentiometer to check what the guage wants. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...hingie.862020/
I gotta tell you I read and re-read your post and mostly it's Greek to me. Yeah, I'm an electrical dumbsh!t Fortunately, I stopped by the shop today and discussed this with their electrician. He said to stop by and he thinks he'll be able to reach in between the sender and underside of bedwood and determine the ohm rating of the sender. Fortunately, I think they feel sorry for me over the ton of money I've given them and the stupid gas gauge isn't reliable yet.

Quote:
Good luck, mine is not digital it is analog so your milage may vary, not sure why but twisted wires some time makes a difference with digital stuff.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote