View Single Post
Old 03-07-2019, 07:22 PM   #4
James Lamb

Re: Daily Driving a Square Suburban

I have had a 1989 Suburban 4 x 4 since about 2002. Was my daily driver until about 3 years ago. I'm the 3rd owner but have put the most miles on it - around 245,000 now. Mine is (was) a 6.2 diesel. Long story there, 3 engines later, one a $5000 6.5 turbo with a lot of problem solving and $$ spent to fit the turbo in and still have AC - it gave me 14,00o miles before locking up. Needless to say, while I love diesels, especially in 4 x 4 for low end torque, will not have another Detroit Diesel engine ever.

But I could get 23 mpg out of it, which is amazing on nearly 8000 lb 4 wheel drive. With cost of gas, my 383 stroker with rv cam gets around 15mpg for the same $ per mile.

My experience is with a little attention to a vehicle that's now 30 years old, it holds up well. They're generally easy to work on, although there are a few parts that are getting hard to find. Another perspective - insurance is nothing on a truck that age. But I also no longer use it as a daily driver, just for when I need to move something or need 4w, so that simplifies the equation for me.

The ride will never be as good as a new vehicle, although new stock springs which are cheap help a lot. I also added rear air shocks for when I tow to level the vehicle and that was also well worth the money. I keep them at about 10 lbs all the time and it seems to help the ride quality too.

Fuel will be more, but considering the cost of a new truck you can buy a lot of gas before you offset the price of a new truck. Plus there is the fact that they are cool, iconic vehicles. Why drive a cookie-cutter when you can drive something distinctive? My wife might disagree with me on that last one bu the way.
James Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote