Thread: Johns 66
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2019, 12:39 PM   #427
Johns 66

Re: Johns 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
Wow...can't believe they put metal shavings in the bondo. That is underhanded for sure! You will get her fixed up, but it is disappointing I am sure.
Yeah...kinda hoped it wouldnt be bondo filled but should have known with all the other bondo and swiss cheese I found...BUT this is for sure the last piece that can have bondo since everything else has been fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
Dadgum, that sucks on the tailgate. Think on the positive though, the rest of it is looking great!
As they say Christian...Its a truck and while I really do love her, I know I have something far better than everything else in this world waiting on me.....Glory!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Haas View Post
magnets stick through bondo if the bondo is less then 1/4" thick.

Old wives tale using magnets to find body filler.

The one caveat of that is to use those flexible magnetic labels/stickers that have the rubberized magnet on them. those will not stick to even a skim coat of body filler.
That's is great advice and I really appreciate it a lot. Yeah I think old wives tales do come up from time to time. Just never really thought someone would be so dishonest as to put metal shavings in the filler to mask it.
I remember when the guy told me to stick the magnet anywhere I like ...and of course I did and of course it stuck.

My Cab corners, one rocker was completely made out of bondo...but no worries now that has all been replaced with true metal. Just a lil time and money as they say. No just gotta find a good tailgate is all.

I guess the best way to buy these old trucks is to get a patined one like Christians where you can actually see everything and not hidden by bondo, silicone, license plates or undercoating...Live and Learn.

But still love her dearly..LOL

On a side note I did talk with someone this morning, Ricky Howard from Alex City, Al about doing my interior work. Seemed like a real nice young man.....His shop is called Built By Ricky...he does outstanding work...so Im gonna go meet with him next Monday and talk interior.....excited about that.
2019 GMC AT4

Last edited by Johns 66; 03-08-2019 at 12:50 PM.
Johns 66 is offline   Reply With Quote