Thread: Johns 66
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2019, 07:50 PM   #433
Johns 66

Re: Johns 66

And So....It Begins....Im gonna post this today and probably be a few days before I post anything else.

I started today by adjusting the doors...the drivers side wouldn't stay shut and the passenger side wouldn't open....I adjusted the strike plates and got it pretty good without weather stripping on them. Had to take the latch mechanism out of the drivers side door because the spring that makes the striker stay put wasn't attached back ...which is why it wouldn't stay closed...luckily it was still there...so got he doors opening and closing correctly....but found another issue which I will describe later in future post....when I calm down....

I did try the sandblast water attachment but gotta get with Scott to see how he did his...mine worked great for about 2 ft on the frame then quit sucking sand

So I started sanding and figured I would start on the biggest piece...the hood...pretty much everything else I had touch with a D/A. I tried to block sand with 80 grit but wasn't getting anywhere at all.....So I got the ole Dewalt 6 in orbital sander out and went to town.

Evidentially I have a Patriotic Hood......Because under the white was red, then red oxide primer, then Blue some kind of orange looking color then and finally some black looking primer best I can tell.

So me being me...I sanded and sanded and sanded some more. I got the two outside sections of the hood sanded down to metal...figured 6 layers of paint was too much to put epoxy, then high build then, color and clear...So Im gonna sand the hood down to metal. Of course I did find some bondo but was able to feel from the back side and it was more or less just dings that had been fixed...not 1/2 like the tailgate..

So with exception of the Doors that are NOS I am gonna sand her ALL the way down to metal...seems my truck is more Franken Truck than Franken Truck with parts from who knows what years...all I can be assured is the are original sheetmetal from 60-66.

I know this is gonna take some time and effort but at least I know when I put color on her that it wont be 7 layers deep.....I am not looking forward to the underside of the hood..lol….may see if the ole oven cleaner trick will work.

I will say this...besides interior she will not be going any other place to have anything else done to her
Attached Images

2019 GMC AT4

Last edited by Johns 66; 03-10-2019 at 05:39 PM.
Johns 66 is offline   Reply With Quote