View Single Post
Old 03-10-2019, 03:20 PM   #83
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Re: What kinda sorta rare job have you done for a living ?

[quote=Andy4639;8481132]Well I was straight out of high school and applied for a job at McGuire Nuclear station outside Charlotte NC. I had no idea what I was doing except I needed a job.
doing core support work and fixing the drives on the heads. Paid very good money and they handled all the expensese back then. After about 15 years they put me in fuelhandling/ headwork. I have moved fuel in all 3 sites of Duke Energy's built plants and ANO1 Ark, I have worked in Crystal River fa 4 times and Racho Sacho in Cal 2 times.
Oconee nuclear station.

I can relate to most of this as you know cause I worked on building a nuclear Plant and then working there in a maintance position ..

Picking up a core barrel for installation inspection. This is a new core never ran yet. If it has had fuel in it it would have to stay under water the whole time as it's lifted. This was for a new plant being built. I have done this so many times I think I could rig it in my sleep.
282,000-pound core barrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuccales View Post
Offset press operator. 7 unit Goss Community with an SC folder. This was the ONLY inside job I ever had. For the past 30yrs I've had a steering wheel in my hands. It is the one thing I know I'm good at.
I can relate to working outside for many years,, in the mud the rain and snow ,,wind ,and I understand you about the one thing you know you are good at ,, I have a one thing to ,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerdriver View Post
34 years of crane work and heavy hauling . company closed and now a School Bus mechanic.
Laying them heavy cranes down is somthing else ,,one would think that they would break the cables..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_S View Post
I build and maintain hiking trails for the National Park Service. I guess that's a kind of sort of rare job. We like to joke and say that we're "natural materials utilization engineers", but really we just play in the dirt, stack rocks, and move logs around to provide a safe walking path for people in the Park.
Do you asphalt any trails ? you get to eat some good ol black berries too.