View Single Post
Old 03-11-2019, 06:40 AM   #201
MacQuigley

Re: Super Duper Haggis Hauler II - The Resurrection

I had been hoping to be able to fire up the 454 this weekend "under its own power" ie with all the internal electrics done rather than via the spaghetti junction of wires Id run everywhere, but sadly it wasnt to be!

However the reason that didnt happen wasnt down to an electrical issue but a mechanical one.

So I got the important electrical systems all working. The lights work just fine, indicators (well front as Ive no rear lights yet). The starter motor spins but is not engaging the flywheel. Its likely because I turned the starter so the solenoid points downward making connection easier. I hope its just a case of shimming it but I think I will need to turn it again. Thats not the end of the world but its so much easier this way. Fuel pumps are working. Gauges are working.

Name:  20190310_160521_003.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  32.1 KB

Name:  20190310_160537.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  26.4 KB

I didnt try to sort the starter yesterday as frankly it was far too cold to start crawling under the truck, so I will do that sometime this week if the weather gets a little better.

For me this is an important step forward as there electrics were completely shot when I brought the truck home so this is the first time Ive had things like working lights, indicators or even a spinning motor!

So as well as the electrics I also connected the brake pedal to the booster (though Im not happy with my work so I will re do it, but for now it will at least let me bleed the brakes just to make sure Ive no leaks in the system), fitted the Lokar clutch and brake pads as well as installing the Lokar gas pedal.

Name:  20190309_163717_001.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  30.8 KB

I need to sit down today/this week and update my to do list but I really can see light at the end of the tunnel now. Im still waiting for my propshaft to come back from the machine shop but once I fit that, fit the clutch slave cylinder, bleed both it and the brakes and hook up the throttle cable I may actually be able to run the truck up and down my drive. Now that would be a step forward!
MacQuigley is offline   Reply With Quote