Thread: TA_C10: Stage 1
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2019, 04:01 PM   #133
TA_C10

Re: TA_C10: Stage 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Steep learning curve but you're getting the hang of it.

On the wire size…. The smaller dia wire works better on thinner stuff (think sheet-metal or slightly thicker). The thicker diameter is used on stuff like frame brackets or sheet stuff over 1/8". Of course, w/each change you'll have to re-adjust settings according to your material. I always keep a spool of each handy. The later pics have your tack welds looking much better. I like to do a series of tack welds, check the fit of everything & if good, grind the tack welds down @ that time. Repeat after each round of tack welds & you get a more consistent weld seam vs missed areas between tacks.

On your Blazer tank, nice job w/the in-tank pump mods. Been looking @ that same kit for my Blazer tank as well (I've been eyeing the TB style aftermarket FI set-ups for the SBC in my 64 build). I would recommend supporting the bottom of the tank as the flange alone was not intended to carry the full weight & will probably cause issues on down the road. A strap set-up can easily be made to work w/your mounting arrangement since you can fab & are getting better w/the welder.

Thanks for the advise on the welds, I get what your saying and I'm not doing that(obviously you can see that i'm not ) and will start trying that method.

AND Oh man, I'm glad you told me that!! I didn't know the flange wasn't able to support the tank... That sucks because I really didn't like the straps but now I guess I will have to use them after all... I will be looking into making a different bolt setup for the straps as I don't like what they designed. The j-hook or whatever they call it will dig into my painted frame and cause it to crack and then rust... Might be as simple as just adding a washer under it we will see.

And I got curious and found your recycle build. I quickly flipped through and found your tank stuff on page 26 or so. I don't see straps on your setup either but I assume your not done yet. I see some of your other work and dang man, experience really shows, your doing some amazing work over there. Didn't realize your were in Dallas. I'm in Justin just behind TMS. Maybe someday we can check each others rides out.

Thanks!!

"It's only money".
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote